We all have days when it is an absolute struggle just to get out of bed.
We wish we can simply sleep all day. We desperately need to find some form of motivation, some reason to face the day ahead. At work we sometimes find ourselves pushing aside particular tasks. Somehow we cannot get ourselves to do them and we keep finding other things to work on, waiting for that elusive mood to come to us in order to get things moving along.
Even relationships sometimes suffer from periods when either or both parties may be experiencing individual problems that keep them from nurturing their connection to their partner.
Whatever our personal situations, we all have experienced periods when nothing seems to be working the way we want them to and we lose our momentum, we lose our drive to keep going. Negativity starts to creep in and if we don’t do anything about it, we might end up in a personal or professional rut. The key is to find effective ways to motivate ourselves whenever we feel we are on that downward spiral.
Different things work for different people. The tips below should apply to most situations and each may work by themselves or in combination with the others:
1.Make a list.
Making a list in itself is very methodical and will somehow keep you from over-thinking or over-analyzing whatever it is that may be causing your lethargy, if at all you know. The very act of sitting down and forcing your brain to get organized may be all that you need to spur you on.
If you list down the things you need to do for the day, being able to tick them off one by one as the day progresses should be enough motivation to keep you focused. If you make a list of your long-term life goals, be sure to display it prominently around the house or near your desk at work to serve as your motivation every time you feel you are losing steam again.
2.Stay in a positive frame of mind.
This may be easier said than done especially during emotionally-charged times but positivity is a state of mind that you can train yourself to be in. There are simple things that can help you achieve positivity like being in the company of the people who mean the most to you; or listening to your favorite inspirational songs; or treating yourself to a few hours in a spa; or helping out someone in need; or taking a short leisurely walk in the park; or even just putting your feet up and taking a nice 5-minute break. You may be surprised at how re-charged you will feel, ready once again to take on the day’s challenges.
Surround yourself with photographs of the reason(s) why you’re walking the path you’re currently on. If your life’s dream is to be able to earn that college degree and you have to take night classes after a long day at work, you may need to look at a photograph of yourself in graduation robes to keep yourself motivated during days when you are too tired and want to give up. Some visual stimulation will help wipe away the tiredness from your bones.
4.Track your progress.
Every once in a while check how far along you’ve come and give yourself a pat on the back. Seeing your progress is as good a motivation as actually reaching your goal. Every small milestone needs to be celebrated. Realize that they all bring you closer and closer to your ultimate goal, whatever it may be.
5.Harness your inner strength and determination to succeed.
With proper motivation, every person has the ability to make their dreams come true. Motivation can come from external influences like one’s family and friends or even material rewards. It can also come from within, from a person’s very own will to succeed. This inner strength can sometimes fade into near insignificance amidst the many struggles that a person faces each day. Firm believers in this inherent human trait have found ways to harness it thru the use of motivational jewelry that a person can wear at all times. These inspirational jewelry are often made with ancient symbols and are powerful reminders of a person’s connection to his environment and his own spirituality that makes it possible to achieve his most fervent goals.
6.Make fear work for you.
Never forget what might happen if you don’t finish what you’ve started. Fear is an effective motivational agent to keep you from giving up. Fear of failure galvanizes people to do their very best and makes them extra careful with every step.
7.Share your dreams with people you respect.
Not wanting to disappoint the people with whom you’ve shared your life goals is a powerful motivation for you to keep on striving for success. It is not easy to give up on your dreams after you have announced it to others, especially those whose opinion you hold in high esteem.
During those times when it seems hard to take the next step, remember that self-motivation is a personal decision and that none of the tips listed above will work if you don’t first decide to help yourself.
The best way to improve your life and earn the respect of others is to improve your self-esteem. This is not a very difficult task. All that it needs is good guidance. Here are ten tips that can happen when you improve your self–esteem.
- You should surround yourself with people who are positive and supportive, and shun friends who are cynical and negative. This will generate a huge swell of positive feelings in you. You will respect yourself more, and your self-esteem will grow.
- You should be clear about what you want to achieve in life. Set goals, and work for their achievement. To make your task easier, break your main goal into several smaller goals which are relatively easier to achieve. This will make the task of reaching your main goals seem easier. It will also give you a feeling of satisfaction whenever you achieve one of the smaller goals.
- Always be positive about yourself and keep reminding yourself about your good qualities, your accomplishments and how you help your family, friends, others and yourself. Don’t make the mistake of brooding over negative things, and never put yourself down.
- Develop the ability to accept criticism about yourself, without getting upset or defensive. This will help you eliminate your weaknesses one by one. However, make sure that the criticism is constructive. Don’t allow yourself to be overwhelmed by criticism that is cynical or meant to lower your self-esteem. This will be a great mistake, and do irreparable damage to your self-esteem.
- We all need to accept the fact that we will fail from time to time. We should not let it get us down or to have too much of a negative effect on us. We should think that we have not been successful this time and that we will succeed the next time. This will help us to pull ourselves together and move on. Such an attitude will help us overcome the most difficult conditions.
- Never compare yourself with others. This is the easiest way to feel inferior and lose self-esteem. It is much better to rate yourself on your achievements. Such an approach will give you self-confidence. At the same time it will make you feel better when dealing with your peer group.
- Never put yourself down. Failures are like parasites. If you allow them to grow they will eat away your self-confidence, self-respect and self-esteem. The best is to push negative thoughts out of your mind, if you want others to treat you with respect. This can only happen when you project a positive exterior, even in most adverse situations. Make it a point to filter out all self-criticism.
- Don’t give in to bullies in your place of work or in your personal life. You must learn to stand up to them. This can only happen if you are assertive about your rights. Of course, this does not mean that you should pick up physical battles to make your point. On the contrary, you should exercise restraint and make your point in a dignified manner. This will not only make others treat you with respect but also increase your self-esteem.
- You may be self-conscious and because of this you may avoid talking to groups of people. Try to approach groups of people and introduce yourself to them. Ask them questions about themselves and try to be genuinely interested in the answers. Listen carefully and attentively to what they say and respond to show your interest. Interacting with people will make you feel more relaxed. You will realize that it is easy to speak to groups of people and to relax by concentrating on what others are saying, rather than on yourself.
- Self-esteem is also dependent upon the felling of well-being. A lazy person or a poorly groomed person will always feel inferior to a confident, smart individual. So, you need to take good care of your body. Remember, a healthy body is essential for a healthy mind.