Knowing how to make yourself happy comes down to knowing what causes you to feel the way you do.
When you understand what makes you happy in the first place, you can use that knowledge to continue to feel happy. Instead of trying to find happiness as if it is something outside of you, you need to search for it within. Not only that, you need to be able to activate those feelings as well. There are lots of ways to feel happy so let me offer you some tips that might help.
One way to make yourself happy is to focus on things that make you happy.
Most of the time, people are unhappy because they keep focusing on negative things. I don’t care how happy you are, if you go around constantly thinking about depressing things, sooner or later, you are going to start feeling pretty lousy. Your emotions, whether happiness or anything else, can be controlled by what you focus on and what meaning you give to things.
For example, will getting a meal to eat for dinner make you happy?
That depends. If you are accustomed to having 3 meals a day, then you’ll probably just be neutral about it but if you haven’t eaten in a few days, that one meal can make you extremely happy. What if you make minimum wage and suddenly land a job that pays 3 times as much? Will that make you happy? What if you were already making 10 times more than the minimum wage but got demoted or had a pay cut and not you are making only 3 times the minimum wage? Will you be happy now?
As you can see, things don’t make you happy. It is your perception and the meaning that you give to those “things” that make you happy.
This is why people in 3rd world countries can experience happiness while you have celebrities who have everything and end up committing suicide. When you make the mistake of thinking that happiness comes from external things, it will be hard to stay happy. Only you can make yourself happy. Now that you know this, here are some ways to make yourself happy.
How to Make Yourself Happy
1. Focus on what you already have and be grateful for it. Just think about a time in your life when you didn’t have the things you now have in your life. The friends, the relationships, the career, etc. When you focus on what is good in your life, it will make you feel happier.
2. Make making yourself happy easy. Too often we place all of these conditions on what has to happen before we can allow ourselves to be happy. “If I don’t have $100k in savings, then I can’t be happy.” “If I don’t achieve 10% body fat, then I can’t be happy.” When you place rules that make it hard for you to be happy, you may find yourself very unhappy.
One easy rule you can set up for yourself is, “If I am able to wake up in the morning, I will be happy.”
3. Be happy in the pursuit of your goals. Instead of trying to acquire things and achieve goals in order to be happy, why not be happy while you pursue your goals. In other words, don’t seek happiness, happily seek. Or to put it in another way, enjoy the journey, not just the destination. Experiencing this is a lot easier when you’re doing something you love.
Knowing how to make yourself happy comes down to realizing that you can allow yourself to be happy simply by letting go of all of the conditions that you have allowed society to place on yourself.
The conditions that this and that has to happen before you can feel happy will only make being happy difficult. It’s great to go for goals and dreams and you should, but don’t place your happiness on whether or not you accomplish those goals. Learn to be happy in pursuit of those goals and dreams. After all, isn’t the purpose of life to be happy? If so, stop pursing it and just be.
by Kevin Ngo
Happiness is the happiest state of mind. Some people believe in a bright future. They think positively and life leads to Love. They are smiling and cheerful. It seems that they have everything the…
Happiness is the happiest state of mind.
Some people believe in a bright future. They think positively and life leads to Love. They are smiling and cheerful. It seems that they have everything they want.
Are their desires small or they are “Gods of reachable small things,” satisfied and grateful for what they have?
Some people perceive the worst possible outcome, so if it does happen, it happened, and they “knew” that it would. Most likely, they will say, “See, I’ve told you so.” Apparently they are proud and egocentric, but they are really unhappy, sad, lonely and without love.
Are their desires too big or they are “Gods of unreachable big things,” unsatisfied and ungrateful with what they have?
Which side is better?
I believe we should be grateful for what we have at this moment. Start with a small goal, reach it and become a “God of small things.” Be grateful. Then push up your goal, reach it and become a “God of bigger things.” Then make it small for you again, set and reach the next goal and your way will become limitless.
But if you start with a big goal and you don’t succeed several times in a row, how will you feel? Maybe some of us get more strength from that and do it until we succeed. But most of us just quit, right?
The suggestion is to start with a small goal and rise from it. Even the longest road begins with the first step. And though you are not a bird to glide, at least you will not overfly the road. You only have to go one step after another.
Many things, in our lives, make us happy. For some of us, happiness is being in love, for others it is in family, or in abundance, or in success, or in whatever brings a smile upon our faces and peace in our hearts and minds.
Every man is the magnificence at his own shape, perfection one of a kind. You are perfection. He, she is perfection. I am perfection.
Maybe you wonder:
How can it be if we are so different? It can because perfection doesn’t exist. It is not real. We are the best versions of ourselves. That is perfect enough.
All of us individually, different things, situations, events and actions make happy. Wouldn’t it be great if there existed a Special Power which would connect people by those things that make them happy? Then we would easily find someone who suits us, the one who has the same desires, the same goals the same opinions, and we will merge our lives into one successful, happy life. It would be perfect! Everyone would be happy in love and in life.
But life doesn’t work that way.
Life can be an unexpected set of events, and it demands tolerance and a lot of friendship and love from us. Otherwise, where would be the excitement of life if we all know our way from birth to the end? How would we grow and what would we learn if we were the same or if we spend the most time with people that are just like us? Would we really be happy? Or just our ego would be happy because it is self-satisfied?
- Take a few minutes for yourself.
- Find peace inside you and feel your breathing and heartbeat.
- Ask yourself this simple question “How are you?”
- Answer from your heart.
- If the answer is “Great,” “Happy,” “Satisfied,” then you are on the right path. But if the answer is “Unhappy,” “Sad,” “Lonely” or it is just silence, then you have to ask yourself another question: “What would make you happy? ” The answer is your wish.
- Make a goal from your wish.
- Feel it!
- Do it! Make an action plan and do one by one an action by action. You will reach it! And when you accomplish it, you will feel satisfaction, and satisfaction leads to happiness.
- Do not stop!
- Take responsibility of your life and create your happiness
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Catherine B. Roy is an author and Founder of “Live from Your Heart and Mind” (LHM) community, Awarded Top 30 Under 30 Young Leaders in the World, Member of The Wellness Universe, Award Winning Artist and Scientist, Poet, Philosopher and Published Author whose stimulating, upbeat and inspirational writings have helped countless people in the world. It has helped them solve personal problems, infuse their lives with hope, energy and success, and remarkably improve people’s relationships at work and at home.
As the author and founder of the “Live from Your Heart and Mind”, Catherine is the guiding force behind the “LHM” system for increasing a person’s emotional and intellectual capacity, and inspiring them to positive change and accomplishment.
There are reasons, good reasons, why certain people have reached the state of constant happiness – it’s all about things like wonder, self satisfaction, never forgetting ones roots and the inspiration gained from others…
…others who are or have been in worse positions than yourself – but are happy, as well as those fortunates who have gotten themselves into the happy position that you would like to be in.
Habit No.1…Be Inspired By Others
• It never ceases to amaze and is totally inspiring when you take time to notice those that you would consider worse off than yourself i.e. those that are blind or have limbs missing or are born with or have been suddenly stricken with debilitating diseases or afflictions – BUT – they attain happiness…their inner strength and acceptance of their circumstances is truly astounding…it begs the question; “exactly WHY am i unhappy..?”.
• What about those who have followed the tenets and types of advice that are cited and discussed within this site…they have attained happiness via positive thinking, hard endeavour, full commitment to their desires and absolute persistence in taking the necessary steps along their road to success…that warrants full respect and is simply inspirational…why not just emulate their steps to success..!?!
Habit No.2…Share Your Knowledge And Your Time
• There really is nothing like the act of giving to others…most especially your time and knowledge…Winston Churchill said: “We Make a Living By What We Get, But We Make a Life By What We Give”
• The man knew what he was talking about and many other very successful people have quoted along the same lines with the self-same theme…and have gone ahead to live full and happy lives.
• It’s one of the main rules of the universe and has been proved time and time again…to receive, you must first give..!
Habit No.3…Always Be Grateful For Everything You Have
• Happy people are constantly grateful for all the material things they have, even if it took hard work and effort to obtain them…they do not take it or them for granted.
• Subsequently, the people in your life…if you have wonderful relationships with great friends and loved ones, be grateful…do not take them for granted.
• There are plenty people in this world who, for whatever reason, are not so fortunate, so you have serious reason to be forever thankful for your bounty..!
Habit No.4…Live For This Moment
• This moment, here and now is what counts…focus and enjoy what you need to get done today so that you successfully move forward to tomorrow.
• The past is done-and-dusted…there is no point continuously thinking about your past mistakes or even your past conquests – every day is different and will need to be actioned so that you get to the end of the road you have chosen for your FUTURE success.
• On that note – do not dwell too much on the future either…what you do now, at this moment, is what will determine your future needs and actions.
Habit No.5…Know The Only Things That You Can Control Are Your Thoughts
• Although you can guide by providing help and advice, you cannot control what others think or do – don’t let that have negative influence on your desires.
• Your thoughts are “things” – they WILL become reality if you keep thinking them…that’s your negative as well as your positive thoughts, so it’s obvious what type of thoughts you should spend the most (all) of your time on – right..?
• Happy people begin with a dream, a thought…and then make it a solid happenstance..!
Happiness is a state of mind, not just a simple feeling…if your mind is persistently positive, if your mind is grateful and if your mind does not dwell on past injustices or mistakes and if you make sure your mind doesn’t stress too much about the future that you cannot possibly control, then happiness is yours for the taking…take it..!
Here’s a simple but very adroit quote – from Abraham Lincoln – for you to remember…
“Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.”
Peter EC Kirwan