Enrich your daily diet with nuts nutrition!
Just munch a handful of edible nuts or your choice of wholesome seeds like sesame a day, and you will be doing more than happy to keep yourself healthy and stay fit!
Nuts have it all!
Rich in energy, protein, packed with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and much discussed omega-3 fatty acids, nuts and seeds have it all! Crunchy yet buttery, wonderfully delicious nuts are wonderful gifts to humankind from the mother nature.
Here is an impressive list of kernels and seeds with detailed illustrations of their health benefits and nutrition facts:
Nuts are companionable!
- You can carry them along with you wherever you go!
- There is no need of special containers or carry boxes.
- They have long a shelf life. Unlike fruits and vegetables, nuts are not easily perishable!
- You can enjoy them whenever you like! Wherever you want! Without the worry about preparation, in fact, nuts and seeds hardly need a kitchen help!
Nature’s friendly! Almost all the varieties of nuts and seeds we eat come in safe envelopes (shells). There is nothing to worry too much about contamination or handling issues. Just grab healthy-looking nuts of your choice and enjoy!
Nuts are must!
Here is why and how?
- Nuts and seeds are rich in energy and nutrients. Nuts nutrition broadly comprises of health-friendly monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA) such as oleic and palmitoleic acids. These MUFA help lower LDL or “bad cholesterol” and increase HDL or “good cholesterol” in the blood. Research studies suggest that the Mediterranean diet that is rich in MUFA help prevent coronary artery disease, stroke risks through favoring healthy blood lipid profile.
- They are a rich source of all-important omega-3 essential fatty acids like Linoleic acid, α -Linolenic acid (ALA), Eicosapentaenoic acid, Docosahexaenoic acid , etc. Research studies have suggested that n-3 or omega-3 fats by their virtue of anti-inflammatory action help to lower the risk of blood pressure, coronary artery disease, strokes and breast, colon and prostate cancers. Omega-3 fatty acids also offer some benefits in conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and Schizophrenia, depression and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Nuts and seeds are the storehouses of health benefiting polyphenolic flavonoid antioxidants such as carotenes, resveratrol, lutein, cryptoxanthin, etc. These compounds have been found to offer protection against cancers, heart disease, degenerative nerve disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and viral/fungal infections. Studies suggest that resveratrol in peanuts reduces stroke risk by altering molecular mechanisms in the blood vessels, reducing their susceptibility to vascular damage through decreased activity of angiotensin (a systemic hormone causing blood vessel constriction that would elevate blood pressure) and increased production of the vasodilator hormone, nitric oxide.
- Nuts nutrition is complete in the sense that in addition to calories, and vitamins, they are a rich source of minerals like manganese, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, fluoride and selenium. Manganese is a co-factor for the enzyme, superoxide dismutase, which is a very powerful free radical scavenger. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure. Copper required for the production of red blood cells. Iron is essential for red blood cell formation. Fluoride is a component of bones and teeth and plays an important role in the prevention of dental caries.
- They contain healthy levels of vitamin-E, a powerful lipid soluble antioxidant. Vitamin-E is required for maintaining the integrity of cell membrane of mucosa and skin; thus, protecting it from harmful oxygen-free radicals.
- Moreover, seeds and nuts nutrition profile include many vital B-complex groups of vitamins such as riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B-6, and folates. These vitamins are essential for optimum health and well-being.
Culinary uses of nuts
- Edible nuts and seeds can be eaten as they are or either salted or sweetened.
- Sprinkle over desserts, particularly sundaes, ice cream and enjoy!
- They employed in the confectionery, as an addition to bread, biscuits, sweets, muffins, and cakes.
- In the food industry, almost all kinds of nuts employed in the preparation of nutritious butter.